Monday, February 24, 2014

Another week in 'stallis



STOKED when I got Dad's letter!!!  Especially the stat sheet!
HELLO!!!!!!!  Can't believe it is finally P-day again!  Reading e-mails from you all is the best thing in the world!  Haha it was so funny!  Sister Tanner and I both instinctively started running when we got off the bus at the library today.  Kind of embarrassing.... but that is seriously how much we love getting mail.
Fair warning- not a lot happened this week so sorry if this e-mail is lame and boring.
Tuesday was the funeral for the Relief Society President's husband.  Sister Tanner and I helped a lot with that.  It was a great service.  He wasn't a member so there were a lot of non members there in the congregation during the funeral.  The spirit there was so strong and the relief society president said that there were some people asking her about the church after.  We really are so blessed to have the knowledge that families can be together forever and that this life isn't the end.  I am so grateful for my family!  That is all I could think about during the funeral service.  It is so cool that we get to be together forever!  Sometimes that is the only thing that can help when I really start to miss everyone throughout the week.  We should thank Heavenly Father everyday and but then we also need to do our best to live worthy of these blessings.  Interesting story, Sister Tanner's companion before me came up here for the funeral from her area because she was good friends with the relief society president.  They had a member of their ward drive them and during the luncheon I sat down and started talking to her.  I don't remember for sure how she said she was related to them, but I think her husband is Dave Crowther's brother!  Isn't that so cool?  It was such a tender mercy to get to run into her!  She was so sweet.
I met Sister Crowther!  She is related to Dave and Kris Crowther.  It was so fun to meet her!  She was so sweet.
Wednesday was BLISTERING HOT!  And by blistering hot I mean it got up to 48 degrees!  It was nuts!  Sis Tanner and I were so stoked that we didn't even wear a coat all day and we walked everywhere!  We went to Kopp's for lunch which is the super famous Wisconsin Custard place and boy was it good.  Other than that, every one that we visited wasn't home, but at least it was warm!  :)
Thursday was another somewhat uneventful day.  Except we did have a lesson with one of the less active members we are working with that went so well.  We read Alma 37 and talked about how by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.  And how we shouldn't be slothful because of the easiness of the way.  And then we shared Sister Oscarson's conference talk called Be Ye Converted which is a GREAT talk and you should drop what you are doing and read it right now.  It talks about how we need to do the small and simple things to gain our testimony. Conversion isn't an event, it is a process.  We need to be continually converting ourselves to the Lord every single day.  If there is one thing that I have learned so far on my mission, it's that.  Reading your scriptures everyday, saying sincere prayers, and attending church are SO IMPORTANT.  They are the simple and obvious things, yet there are so many people that struggle to do them.  Reading my scriptures everyday has made such a difference for me here on my mission. 
Honey Creek Bridge in West Allis
Friday was definitely the highlight of the week.  It was my very first zone conference!  I loved every single second of it!  Guess what!  I played the piano!  It was scary because this conference was combined with 3 zones so there were tons of missionaries there plus President and Sister Cutler so I was waaaaaay nervous but I actually did a really good job.  Yay!  The theme of the conference was prayer.  Sister Cutler talked to us about the importance of fasting with prayer.  She pointed something out that I have always known but thought was a good reminder- Fasting is a tool that Heavenly Father has given us to make our prayers more powerful.  Fasting isn't just skipping a couple of meals.  It is an opportunity for us to receive blessings from Heavenly Father!  I thought that was way awesome.  President Cutler talked to us about Joseph Smith and his experience with prayer.  I mean if you think about it, a 14 year old boy restored the Lord's true church on the earth again in our day all because he decided to say a simple prayer in a grove of trees one day.  In fact, every time Joseph Smith needed help and revelation, he said a prayer to receive the revelation.  It wasn't just given to him.  I think that is important for us to remember.  President Cutler also pointed out another thing that I thought was interesting.  He talked about when Joseph faced the adversary as he began praying before he had the first vision.  In verse 20 of JS-History Joseph says something like Satan must have known he was going to be an "annoyer" and "disturber" of his Kingdom.  Then President Cutler said this, "If you don't feel some opposition, you need to re-evaluate what you are doing." BAM.  Isn't that so true though!  As missionaries we are definitely annoyers and disturbers of Satan's Kingdom.  That is why we are here!  And Satan doesn't like it.  I think that might be one of the reasons that missions are so hard.  Also, this totally applies to real life too.  We should always be doing something to be disturbing satan's kingdom.  Whether it be teaching someone else the gospel or building our own testimony.  If you feel some opposition, then you are doing it right.  Just a thought.
Reuniting with some MTC homies at Zone Conference!!!

More MTC homies!
Another cool thing that happened at zone conference was when President Cutler had all of the missionaries that are leaving after this transfer bear their testimonies.  They were amazing.  I hope more than anything that I sound like that when I am getting ready to leave.  It reminded me a lot of Timpview Soccer.  I remember when I was a freshman and Coach Rob had all of the seniors talk to us on their last day of practice.  They told us that time goes by so fast and to enjoy it while we can and to work hard while we still have the chance.  I remember thinking to myself, "sucker!  I've still got 4 years of this!"  But then I blinked my eyes and it was my senior year and I was trying to tell all the Freshmen that time really does go by so fast and all of those same things.  I caught myself having those same thoughts as they were bearing their testimonies.  I thought to myself, It's fine!  I still have 18 months!  But then I remembered.  And I learned my lesson this time.  I want to make this 18 months count while I can.  I hope it doesn't go by too fast!
Overall, I just thought I would reiterate how much I love the Cutlers.  I know that they receive direct revelation from Heavenly Father for our mission and I am so grateful for them.  Zone conference was awesome!
Saturday was another normal day.  We met a couple of people on the street and we were able to give them some Book of Mormons.  It was awesome!  Saturday nights on the bus are always pretty interesting.  And scary.  Everyone is usually high or wasted so they can't drive home so they are on the bus.  And then they see our nametags that say Jesus Christ on them.  And then they feel like they have to pour out their whole life stories to us.  I have some pretty crazy stories to tell but I am running out of time!  Ah!
Warming up with some hot chocolate at the bus stop
Sunday was great!  I love going to church and having the opportunity to renew my covenants!  It was so awesome to hear about Tommy's homecoming and see pictures.  You can tell he was an awesome missionary.  It is weird to hear about people that come home because I just barely left. 
Anyways, we are working hard here in West Allis!!  Thank you so much for your prayers.  AND LETTERS TOO!!!  I love you all so much and am already counting down the minutes until next p-day when I get to read your e-mails again.  Love you so much!!
Sister King

No comments:

Post a Comment