Monday, February 10, 2014

If the pioneers could do it, then I can do it too.

So happy it is finally P-day again and I get to read all of your letters!  They seriously are the best thing ever!
The bus: Our second home
Not gonna lie, this week started out pretty rough.  Missionary work is HARD.  We started out the week tracting and I kid you not, we picked the meanest street in the whole state of Wisconsin to be the first street I tracted on.  People yell mean things at us and slam the doors in our faces.  It's great.  Then we were hiking through the snow and I totally turfed it on this huge patch of ice and bruised my bad knee pretty good and to top it all off the fall ripped my favorite and warmest pair of tights.  This week was  just freezing cold and we did a lot of walking.  I was tired, frustrated, freezing cold, and starting to get kind of homesick.  But don't worry, my attitude changed.

It was about mid-way through the week and we were trekking through a bunch of snow to an appointment (which never showed up might I add).  I was really starting to feel pretty sorry for myself.  I don't know why, but as I struggled to put one foot in front of the other into the foot of freezing cold snow in front of me, the pioneers came to mind.  They trekked through the snow just like I was doing but they didn't have a -40 degree guaranteed coat from Land's end, water-proof boots, two pairs of wool socks, and a nice warm apartment to come home to at the end of the night.  But what did they have?  The Lord's help.  I snapped out of it then and there.  Yes, this is still really hard and sometimes it's not the funnest thing in the world.  But I am on the Lord's errand.  This is His work.  I know that He will help me.  Plus if the pioneers could do it, then I can do it too.  I also learned that my entire mission is going to completely depend on my attitude about it.  Please don't get me wrong, I am still so excited to be here!  This really is great.  But it is just going to take some serious work to get the experiences out of this that I am hoping for.  I am grateful that I had this experience at the very beginning of my mission because I think I will need to turn to this and remember this a lot throughout the next 18 months.

Trekking through the snow to a dinner appointment
Another thing that really helps is the love and support from family and friends back home.  Mom- I remember you asking me if I could feel people's prayers.  I really concentrated on that this week.  I really think that I can.  I can feel the prayers helping me here if I focus on what I need to do and then do it.  Thank you for your prayers.  And please continue to pray for me and all the missionaries out there because we really do need it.

weekly planning- it'll get 'cha

Marshmallow wars at a member's house.
I don't really know what the best way is to write these letters yet.  So here are just a couple of highlights from this week:
We got hit on on the bus.  This wasn't the first time it has happened and I am sure it won't be the last.  We are two kind, friendly, professional dressed, WHITE girls.  So we really stand out on the bus... haha.  Anyway, this guy was from France and didn't speak the best English.  So usually we tell people that we are missionaries and that is the end of that.  But this guy didn't understand what that meant. haha.  He asked for my number so I gave him a Mormon.org card.  I told him he could find a way to get a hold of us on that website.  He didn't really understand I don't think.  But if he is as interested as he seemed, maybe he will check it out.  Whatever it takes to plant those seeds, right?  If this is the way that this guy needs to find the gospel then so be it.
This week was pretty darn cold.  And there was another wind chill warning or whatever they are called for this coming week.  It really is as cold as everyone says it is.  One night we got home and my feet were FROZEN.  Like I took off my boots and socks and was shocked to find toes instead of a block of ice.  So Sister Tanner and I filled up the tub with hot water and thawed our feet in it while we did our planning for the next day.  Could you do me a favor and look up when it starts to warm up around here?  Please!  Haha if I could just know when the end is in sight then I think I could make it.  Because we don't have a car we are outside most of the day.  Like when does it start to consistently be above 30 at least.  If you could let me know then that would be great.
We got to play marshmallow wars at a members home again.  It is way fun and sometimes we play with nonmembers.  It is really fun to be able to have fun sometimes.  Plus I went undefeated this week.  NBD.
We went tracting again at the end of the week and I prayed so hard that we would pick a nicer street.  I didn't care if not a single person was interested just so long as people didn't yell and slam doors.  Heavenly Father answered my prayers!  No one was super interested, but we were able to give out a lot of Mormon.org cards and stuff and people were really nice!  They listened to what we had to say for the most part.  So that was DEFINITELY a tender mercy.  I didn't even feel like crying when we were done!  Huzzah!
I got your package on Thursday and I absolutely love it!  It is so fun!  Thank you so much!  I brag to Sister Tanner everyday about how awesome my family is.  Question, how did you get my address?  Just curious.  I sent you a letter with my address on it but I didn't think you would have gotten it by then.  Also, anyone and everyone my address because I WOULD LOVE TO GET MAIL FROM THEM!!! 

Thank you so much for the package!  Loved every bit of it!  I have the best family in the world!
Sorry, this week hasn't been super eventful.  We had a couple of investigators we were planning to teach but they alllllllll cancelled.  So most of the week was spent visiting less actives and trying to find people. 
Mom and Dad- I hope you had an awesome anniversary!  I thought about you guys a lot on Thursday.  I really lucked out getting you guys as parents.  I am so grateful for your amazing examples.  Especially your examples as missionaries.  And your example for what kind of marriage and family I want someday.  I really love you guys and I pray for you everyday.
Also, I love Sister Tanner!  She is an amazing companion and just the kind of trainer I need.  Plus I feel like we have become pretty good friends.  We get along great and we have fun together.
Overall, this week has been hard, but it has also been amazing.  And I know that this is where I should be.  I really just can't believe that I am even on a mission!
I thought I would leave you with this quote from Boyd K. Packer:
"The gospel teaches us to be happy, to have faith rather than fear, to find hope and overcome despair, to leave darkness and turn toward the light of the everlasting gospel."
The church is true!
Love, Sister King

LOVE YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment